The mission of Short Story Space is to be the leading environment for short story writers to practice their art with a supportive community.
The first iteration of Short Story Space was created by a handsome young engineer/graduate of The Literature Centre's Talented Young Writers' Programme in Western Australia. The project was started over the Easter weekend of 2020 while under Covid-19 lockdown.The intent is to support this mission with these actions:
- Develop a system for authors to link together their stories to form a series.
- Deploy an AI system to help readers find stories or authors they might like, or pair authors with other authors. Right now, an AI system is learning from every story that's submitted but more stories are needed to make something useful for everyone.
- Create an option to receive a daily digest email with relevant stories, which would be complemented by the AI system.
- Create a section where we invite distinguished authors to critique some user-submitted stories in the form of a video, article or podcast. This is likely to follow after our inaugural writing competition.
- Development of dedicated "hangout" spaces where authors can chat freely without any specific context.
- The ability to send users private messages.
- Customizing parts of the website to cater to specific personalities.
- Updates to the user interface to make things more functional while maintaining elegance.
- The ability to edit stories.